Help

edited November 2016 in General
I was just dignoised last week and was told to take my sugar in the AM, take meds AM/PM and avoid sugar. I have been reading so much that my brain is mush. I'm so confused about carbs/fruit/switches. I have cut out sugar almost completely. Watching my carbs closely and walking. I have gained 8 pounds in 2 weeks even though anything I eat goes right through me. I also have colitis and what I avoid for that condition is what I need to eat for T2D. I'm hungry, bitchy, unhappy and have no energy.
Can someone please talk to me? Resources in our town are limited. I would so appreciate someone to talk to.

My dad and both brothers are diabetic. My son died at 19 for T1D and I should know this stuff. And though I understand the physiology, the mental and emotional affects/isolation are getting me down. I just want to feel good again. I have holidays around the corner and need to be together for them.

Anyone have time to help?

Thanks
Donna

Comments

• Type 2 Diabetes community member: Rsp4717Rsp4717 Member, New Life Outlook
    edited November 2016
    @donnabintx2016

Hi Donna,

I'm so sorry to hear that you were just diagnosed and that you are so overwhelmed. I was diagnosed on my 39th birthday and had no clue about any of it. The lifestyle and mindset changes can be staggering but you CAN do this. The proof is that you took the first step in admitting it all. :)

First word of advice, B-R-E-A-T-H-E! Many people gain weight at first so don't worry just yet. Setting up your team is the first line of defense. My insurance paid for both a class and a dietician when I was first diagnosed. Do you have that availability? Next, make sure you are comfortable with the doctor you currently have. Some people don't feel that their family doctor is enough and they consult with an endocrinologist. Many people with a chronic illness also add a therapist to their team. If you don't feel that you have family or friends to talk to about the isolation and emotional aspects, I highly suggest you look into that. Also, you found a great group here at NewLifeOutlook. In addition to this forum, there is a newsletter as well as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest pages. All great spots to find information AND start up conversations with others like us with Type 2 diabetes. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I feel many of the same things from time to time and find that the moody/cranky feeling often comes from being hungry. LOL I have figured out many wonderful ways to enjoy all my favorite meals without the guilt or depression of missing out. I'm happy to share any of those if you like. I could go on and on. :) If you'd like to reach out to me more, feel free to note here or send a message through the Facebook page and they will get it to me to answer you.

Wishing you much luck and success and I'll see you on the Facebook pages.
    Rebecca
  • I am in the same boat. I have eliminated carbs almost totally since day one. My sugar is now getting under control with meds. Now I am experiencing crashes. Today I had sugar at 72 and was feeling really bad. I ate a few chocolate covered nuts and it helped. Then I ate a subway 6" and took it up to 133 and felt better. However at dinner time I was shaky again. I am having a hard time more because I have eliminated carbs I think. Tuesday I see a diabetic counselor that will bring it together for me I am sure.

Before diagnosis I had heart rate at 104 average and bp was high. I was being treated for high bp. Now I have heart rate of 65/70 and my bp is 120/78 average. my sugar averaging 100. everything checks out I am just feeling crappy.

The problem I have really is no energy.. no ambition.. honestly I feel like I am dying not being able to do anything without feeling like crap. I sure hope this go's away soon. can someone help me understand
  • Type 2 Diabetes community member: Rsp4717Rsp4717 Member, New Life Outlook
    @scotteam I'd love to hear what your counselor had to say about your situation. I've been having a lot of "crash" feelings lately too but I've also been under a lot of stress. Let us know how it went. :)

This is your place to find support and answers. Log in to participate.

This is your place to find support and answers. Log in to participate.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR